Monday, July 28, 2008

No Longer Tongue Tied

I guess you have to be careful what you ask for. I prayed we would have a good sleeper and I got exactly what I requested. Little did I realize she would be too good of a sleeper and would sleep so soundly that she wouldn't eat enough and her weight would continue to drop. It is normal for a baby's weight to drop after birth but they don't want babies to lose more than 10% and expect them to be at least back to their birth weight in 10 to 14 days. The new pediatrician was much more concerned about Lauren's weight lose than the previous doctor and we were given very strict orders to pack on the pounds.

So, between appointments, we have been feeding and feeding our little girl and she has done great! We also saw an ENT today to address Lauren's tongue tied issue (her fraenulum, the part that attaches the bottom of the tongue to the floor of the mouth) is too short which can cause problems with latching and eventually with speech. He clipped her tongue, an easy procedure where the doctor clamps the tissue for a couple seconds and then cuts it (no anesthesia or pain killers required). The worst part was when they brought out a board and strapped our 10 day old baby girl down to it with something equivalent to a velcrow swaddle. She barely woke up, fussed and went back to sleep. I think I was more freaked out because they tell you to nurse her afterwards to comfort them and stop the bleeding but she just fell asleep even though she continued to bleed a little. I made Mike get the doctor who checked her, saw the bleeding had stopped and just said she wanted to sleep. This should allow our precious girl to eat better and speak clearly. Hopefully she doesn't end up with a Gene Simmons tongue but at least it is no longer forked.

We know we won't make the 2 week deadline to be back at 7lbs 3oz but we continue to visit the doctor every couple days for weight checks and hope the scales continue to increase.

1 comment:

Fuzzy said...

Oh no! Poor Lauren and poor Mommy! I am so glad they fixed that for her, so she can feed better. I hope her weight goes up soon, just keep feeding!