On Sunday, we drove to the Monster mile in Dover and attended our first NASCAR race. What a different way of life. I felt like we had entered the twilight zone. For those who haven't been it really is a piece of Americana...and on the way there we drove past a bald eagle in flight. You couldn't help but feel patriotic from the opening prayer to the national anthem and the F-16 fly over. The crowd was huge...I think 100K.
Couple things I did learn at the race:
1) You really need a radio or scanner so you know what is going on. With the earplugs (which are a necessity), you can't hear the announcer nor can you have a real conversation with your friends.
Typical conversation:
Me: I need to go to the bathroom again.
Mike: What?
Me: I have to go to the BATHROOM.
Mike: What?
Me: (Getting up and motioning to the stairs) I NEED TO PEE!!!
Mike: OK!
2) A little into the race you'll notice small black specs on every surface. These are tire remnants and they end up covering everything. I even had to protect my ice cream as I was eating it.
3) There are concession stands but from what I can tell most people just bring everything in coolers. (We bought a Dale Earnheart one on the drive in) So while the tickets aren't cheap, the fact that you can bring your own beer, water, and food you don't spend as much.
The way home was a different experience as well. In fact for about 15 miles on the drive home we passed yard after yard full of people waving and carrying signs. We couldn't quite understand what was going on...it just felt like we were in a parade. We think we figured out they were waiting for the trucks carrying the racecars to pass. (We stopped for crabs on the way home and on the bay bridge we passed the Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson trucks) Either way, it was quite the experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment